Onesie Campaign 2016
Posted on July 1, 2016 by Deanna Spiotta
At the Healthy Baby Network, it is our mission to help every baby reach their first birthday.
In 2015, over 60 babies in Monroe County died before their first birthday. At Healthy Baby Network, it is our mission to help every baby thrive. We invite YOU to join us in making this vision a reality.
What can you do to help?
- Work to reduce violence; create safe places to play and exercise.
- Build community to build resilience.
- Donate to the Healthy Baby Network here! Find out how your donation will help.
Raise Awareness: Post a photo of the onesies you see displayed around Rochester on social media. Tag Healthy Baby Network and use the hashtag #OnesieCampaign2016.
- Insist that schools teach comprehensive reproductive health education; provide vigorous physical activity and nutritious meals.
- Ensure that all pregnant students are referred to appropriate support services.
- Include preconception health assessments for every woman of child bearing age and counsel patients about the results.
- Make Long Acting Reversible Contraception (LARC) the default choice for family planning.
- Screen and treat women for oral health and sexually transmitted diseases and infections.
- Include brief interventions for smoking and alcohol cessation at every visit.
- Refer pregnant women to appropriate support services.
- Create stress-free zones for the pregnant women in your family; support healthful choices of food, drink, and activities.
- Offer to help pregnant moms or moms with young children with the children and housework, so that they can rest.
- Stop smoking, drinking alcohol, taking illicit drugs.
- Get tested and treated for sexually transmitted diseases and see a dentist.
- Start taking 400mg of folic acid daily.
- Use effective contraception until you are healthy enough to have a healthy baby.
- See a doctor or midwife as soon as you think you MIGHT be pregnant.
- Keep all your prenatal appointments.
- Abstain from tobacco, alcohol, and drugs throughout pregnancy.
- Eat well and exercise daily.
- Take time to rest.
AFTER baby is born:
- Put baby to sleep alone in an empty crib, on his or her back every time.
- Prevent any exposure to tobacco smoke.
- Breastfeed for at least 6 months.
Countdown to Kindergarten 2021
Join us for a FREE community block party to help every baby born in 2016 make it to kindergarten in 2021!
Countdown to Kindergarten 2021
Saturday, September 17, 2016, 3:00-6:00pm – September is Infant Mortality Awareness Month!
Thomas P. Ryan R-Center
530 Webster Avenue, Rochester, NY 14609
Premium sponsor: YourCare Health Plan
In 2010, Monroe County lost 59 babies. This year, those babies would have filled two to three kindergarten classrooms. Thinking about the impact of the children who are not with us, Healthy Baby Network and YourCare Health Plan, in collaboration with WDKX and the City of Rochester, bring our community together to ensure that every baby born this year makes it to kindergarten in the fall of 2021. Take the Countdown to Kindergarten pledge and commit to being a community champion for our newest generation’s educational success. Come find out what you can do to help! Countdown to 2021 with us!
There will be music DJ’d by WDKX, food, family activities, and entertainment! Find out how each of us can be a part of helping every baby born this year make it to kindergarten.
Donate to Healthy Baby Network and help mothers and babies live healthy lives! Click here to donate.
About Deanna Spiotta
Deanna is the Communications Director for Healthy Baby Network.